What makes a movie great?

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Is it Halloween or is Frightnight?

www.thecabinet.com
                 Since its Halloween, I thought we could discuss appropriate movies for the night. Upon researching the opinion of others, I’m shocked forthright by several top ten lists of Best Halloween Movies. Some advice, please bring some crackers because they’re all nothing less than cheesy. I mean, I did expect John Carpenter’s original Halloween to be in the running. But putting Creepshow and Friday the 13th in there is simply pathetic.
                I guess it all depends on what you’re going for, quick scares or quality acting pertaining to the actual day. I won’t go into the feeble scare aspect; you know who you are. Let simply touch upon what I’d consider adeptly relevant; the kind of movie where the plot holds a steady tangible course and the characters are relatable.
                At the top of my list (and what I plan to watch again this very night) is of course, Tim Burton’s Sleepy Hollow. Not only is Johnny Depp’s performance as Ichabod Crane superb, the movie takes us on an expedition between science and supernatural. It depicts the very spirit of Halloween to a point that even a skeptic of paranormal begins to reassess.
creepersreviews.blogspot.com
                Even the 1993 Hocus Pocus brings more to the sacrificial table in terms of seasonal quality. The inclusion of its characters humor only adds to the overall realism of its content. It delivers the traditional conjuring of witches on all hallow eve, though they are comically baffled by a modern world. It would be similar to the Addams Family.
                The last one I’ll mention here is 1988’s Lady in White, about a young boy that keeps seeing the ghost of a murdered girl, among many things. I guarantee it will keep at the edge of your seat. My wife goes through a roller coaster of emotions when she watches it, from tears to screams. It centers around Halloween, and the best part, no crackers are needed.


                There are so many decent movies more linked to this day; many are perhaps intended for kids, yet fitting for the entire family. By the way, the best Halloween movie for kids (and many adults) is no doubt It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. Charles Shultz touched upon every kid memory of Halloween!

1 comment:

  1. I must disagree; I am not a fan of Charlie Brown by any standards!  But you are right Sleepy Hollow is a good movie. I happen to like the Addams Family movies for the family, and of course my personal favorites Nightmare before Christmas, Edward Scissor hands and Corpse Bride… I guess I’m a Tim Burton junkie :-)

    ReplyDelete